Awards to the Royal Canadian Navy 
                         HONOURS to CANADIANS in the RN in WW2

BAILLIE-­GROHMAN, Harold Tom, Rear-­Admiral, DSO, OBE  -  Companion - Order of the Bath (CB)
 - Royal Navy / Commander Middle East - Awarded as per London Gazette of 3 June 1941.
  Born in Victoria, B.C. on 15 January 1888.
  He joined the Royal Navy as a Naval Cadet, RN in HMS Britannia in 1903.
  Promoted to Sub-Lieutenant 1907 and served in HMS Prince of Wales.
  He was promoted to Lieutenant in 1909.
  He served in WW1 in the Grand Fleet, in Dover Patrol in destroyers and minesweepers.
  Promoted to Lieutenant-Commander in 1917.
  Awarded DSO as per London Gazette of 17 April 1918.
  Promoted to Commander in June 1923 and Senior Officer
 of the First RN Minesweeping Flotilla Persian Gulf from 1922 to 1923.
  Promoted Captain in 1930 and was a member of the British Naval Mission to China
from 1931 to 1933 and served as an instructor in the Chinese Navy.
  He was awarded The Order of Brilliant Jade (Red Cravat with blue & White Border) as
 per the London Gazette of 4 June 1937:
  "Conferred by the President of the National Government of the Republic of China
   in recognition of valuable services rendered by him as an Instructor in the Chinese Navy."
Commanding Officer, First Destroyer Flotilla Mediterranean form 1934 to 1936.
Commanding Officer of HMS St. Vincent.
Commanding Officer of Boys Training Establishment from 1936 to 1938.
Commanding Officer of HMS Ramillies in 1939, part of 1st Battle Squadron, Mediterranean.
Attached to the General Officer Commanding Middle East in 1941.
  Promoted to Rear-Admiral in 1941 and he was chiefly responsible
 for shore to ship arrangements for the evacuation of British Forces
 from Greece in 1941 for which he was awarded the CB.
  He was Rear­Admiral Combined Operations, 1942 and involved in the
 initial plans for the Dieppe raid but left when it was cancelled the first time.
  On 8 May 1945, Vice­Admiral Baillie­Grohman hoisted the White Ensign over
 the German Naval HQ, Kiel.
  Promoted Vice­Admiral in 1943 and made Flag Officer-in-Command Harwich in 1945.
  He was Flag Officer-in-Command Schlesweig Holstein from 1945 until he retired in 1946.

Naval Cadet, RN                        1903	(Served in HMS Britannia)
Midshipman, RN            30 November  1904	(Served in HMS Britannia)
Sub-Lieutenant, RN                     1907	(Serving in HMS Prince of Wales)
Lieutenant, RN                         1909	(Dover Patrol)
Lieutenant-Commander, RN               1917	(Dover Patrol - Awarded DSO)
Commander, RN              30 June     1923	(Senior Officer Minesweeping Persian Gulf)
Captain, RN                            1930	(On Loan to Navy of the Republic of China)
Rear-Admiral, RN                       1941	(Combined Operations / Commander Middle East)
Vice-Admiral, RN                       1943	(Flag Officer-in-Command Schlesweig Holstein)
Retired                                1946

          "For distinguished service in effecting the withdrawal from the beaches
          of Greece under fire and in the face of many and great difficulties of
          many thousands of Troops of the Allied Armies."

BAILLIE­-GROHMAN, Harold Tom, Rear­-Admiral, CB, DSO, OBE  -  Mentioned in Despatches
 - Royal Navy - Awarded as per London Gazette of 5 March 1942.

          "In recognition of distinguished service in the Middle East."

                                         * * * * *

BAKER-FALKNER, Roy Sydney, Lieutenant (P) - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)
- Royal Navy / attached RAF Coastal Command - Awarded as per London Gazette of 1 January 1942.
Born: 3 June November 1916 at Nottingham, England;
His father was stationed in Britain with the 79th Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force;
thus born of Canadian parents from Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
Home: Broadview, Saskatchewan
then Saanich, Victoria, B.C.
The family returned to Canada in early 1918, eventually moving to Saanich
on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, to be close to their cousin, a magistrate
at Steveston near Vancouver.
In mid 1929, Baker-Falkner applied to join the Navy at Esquimalt Naval Base,
British Columbia. As the Royal Naval College of Canada at Esquimalt had closed
eight years previously, he was transferred to the United Kingdom on a Canadian
Commonwealth Scholarship. Along with other RCN cadets, he enrolled for officer
training at the Royal Naval College at Dartmouth.
In 1934, as a midshipman, he was appointed to HMS Kent, flagship of the China Fleet.
In 1937 he transferred to the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm as a pilot, completing his\
pilot training with the Royal Air Force.
Baker-Falkner earned his pilot's wings in 1938 with the rank of
Sub Lieutenant RN/Flight Lieutenant RAF, and specialized in torpedo reconnaissance.
He was appointed to an operational carrier-based squadron in HMS Glorious in the
On the outbreak of war in September 1939, his Fairey Swordfish squadron was actively
involved in the search for the German warship Graf Spee in the Indian Ocean.
Baker-Falkner returned to England in spring 1940, and was seconded to a
shore-based squadron where he supported the evacuation of troops from Dunkirk
and later participated in the Battle of Britain.
He was one of the few Canadian naval officers to participate in this battle.
He then was seconded to RAF Coastal Command, flying the venerable Swordfish
bi-plane in mining missions against the German coastline.
For his actions he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.
After 15 months of operational duties, in August 1941 Baker-Falkner was attached
as a pilot instructor to the Fleet Air Arm air station at RNAS Condor in
Arbroath, Scotland, at which time he took part in the Royal Navy information
film "Find, Fix and Strike".
Appointed as Commanding Officer of 767 Squadron in August 1942.
Subsequently in October 1942 he was appointed to the Royal Navy aircraft testing squadron
at RAF Boscombe Down as a test pilot, and proved instrumental in testing naval aircraft
prior to their operational use by the Royal Navy. Chief amongst these was the
dive-bomber Fairey Barracuda.
Based on his unique skills with the Barracuda, he was given Command of 827 Squadron
in August 1943, the first Royal Navy unit equipped with this advanced dive-bomber.
Baker-Falkner was soon appointed Wing Leader of No 8 Torpedo Bombing Reconnaissance
Naval Air Wing
, which consisted mainly of young Australian, British, Canadian
and New Zealand Voluntary Reserve aircrews. The Wing joined the carrier HMS Furious
in the Orkney Islands off Scotland in February 1944.
Baker-Falkner led the Wing on an air strike against enemy shipping in north Norway,
supported by the Home Fleet and three Canadian Tribal class destroyers, HMCS Iroquois,
HMCS Haida and HMCS Athabaskan.
On March 30 1944, No. 8 Naval Air Wing embarked from Hatston in Scotland to the Fleet
carriers HMS Furious and HMS Victorious to lead Operation Tungsten, an air attack
on the giant German battleship Tirpitz, anchored in a Norwegian fjord.
Coincidentally, the strike force was escorted in part by HMCS Algonquin and HMCS Sioux.
This was Algonquin's first operation against the enemy.
Baker-Falkner led an audacious low-level dive-bombing attack against
Tirpitz on April 3, 1944. The air strike of 121 aircraft, including 40 Barracuda
and 40 Wildcats, was a success; Baker-Falkner's Wing shared 14 dive-bombing hits,
crippling Tirpitz. This decisive action prevented Tirpitz from posing a major threat
in the forthcoming invasion of Normandy by the allies in June 1944. The aircrews returned
to Scotland in the unaccustomed full glare of the international media.
In July the Wing was ordered to undertake further operations against Tirpitz.
The squadrons boarded the Fleet Carriers Formidable, Furious and Indefatigable
and conducted a strike on 17 July, 1944. Baker-Falkner led the strike of some 92 aircraft,
but German submarines spotted the advancing armada and surprise was lost.
With Tirpitz surrounded by a smoke screen, the aircraft were unable to deliver
accurate attacks, and so the mission met with limited success.
On July 18, 1944, with the Fleet threatened by U-Boat wolf packs,
LCdr Baker-Falkner was launched on the first anti-submarine patrol.
Flying a Barracuda II aircraft with the serial LS556 and the squadron
code 5K, he was assisted by his Observer, Lt. G.N. Micklem, and his tactical
Air Gunner (TAG), PO A.H. Kimberley.
A Corsair of 1841 squadron flown by the senior pilot, Sub Lt. HS Mattholie,
escorted his Barracuda. Tragically, the weather worsened and Baker-Falkner's
Barracuda and the Corsair failed to find the Fleet and became separated.
Baker-Falkner and his crew were lost at sea. Sub Lt. Mattholie crash-landed
in Norway and was subsequently taken as a prisoner of war. Sub Lt. Mattholie's
successor as senior pilot in 1841 squadron was Lt Robert Hamilton Gray RCNVR,
who was later to posthumously earn the Victoria Cross in the Pacific. (Summary provided by his nephew Graham Drucker.)

Career Summary:

Dominion Naval Cadet -- 15 January 1930 From British Columbia to Royal Naval College on Canadian
_________________________________Commonwealth Scholarship.
Cadet --------------------01 January 1930 Royal Naval College Dartmouth
Midshipman ------------- 01 May 1934-1936 HMS Kent/Sino-Japanese war
Acting Sub-Lieutenant----01 September 1936 RN College Greenwich
Sub-Lieutenant-----------16 May 1937 RAF Leuchars No 1 Flying Training School
Wings ------------------- 25 April 1938 HMS Furious 811 Squadron Deck Training
Acting Lieutenant -------- 01 June 1939 HMS Glorious 812 Sqd Swordfish pilot
____________________1940 Involved in Dunkirk evacuation 1940 (812 Squadron)
____________________10 July 1940 to 31 October 1940 with RAF Coastal Command
____________________Awarded Battle of Britain Bar Clasp
Lieutenant --------------- 16 January 1941 HMS Furious 812 Squadron
____________________1941 Involved in Petsamo raid (812 Squadron)
____________________1942 - 1943 Fairey Barracuda test pilot at A&AEE Boscombe Down
Acting LCdr (A) --------- 26 June 1943 RNAS Landrail 827 Squadron
____________________01 October 1943 Took command as first Wing Leader 8th
____________________Naval Torpedo Bomber Reconnaissance Wing
____________________03 April 1944 Led FAA attack on German Battleship Tirpitz, Operation Tungsten,
_______________________________(No. 8 TBR)
Acting Wing Leader ----- 25 October 1944 827 and 830 Squadrons HMS Furious
____________________1944 Led FAA strike against enemy shipping off Norway, Operation Ridge Able (No 8 TBR)
Killed -------------------- 18 July 1944 NW Norway; failed to return from a/s patrol on return from Operation
__________________________________________Mascot against Tirpitz (No. 8 TBR)

Citation for DSC:

"For outstanding zeal, patience and cheerfulness, and for setting an example of wholehearted devotion to duty, without which the high tradition of the Royal Navy could not have been upheld".

BAKER-FALKNER, Roy Sydney, Lieutenant-Commander(P) - Distinguished Service Order (DSO) - Royal Navy / No. 8 Naval Air Wing - Awarded as per London Gazette of 30 May 1944.

"For undaunted courage, skill and determination in carrying out the daring attack

on the German Battleship TIRPITZ on 3 April 1944".

BAKER-FALKNER, Roy Sydney, Lieutenant-Commander(P) - Mentioned in Despatches - Royal Navy / No. 8 Naval Air Wing - Awarded as per London Gazette of 25 July 1944.

"For bravery, leadership, skill and devotion to duty while operating from, or serving

in H.M. Ships during successful strikes at enemy shipping off the coast of Norway".

* * * * *

BROCK, Patrick Willet, Commander  -  Mention in Despatches - Royal Navy / HMS Mauritius
 - Awarded as per London Gazette of 28 November 1944.
  Born 30 December 1902, Kingston, Ontario.
  Entered the Royal Naval College of Canada (Eighth Term) in 1917
 as a Naval Cadet, RCN at age 14.
  He transferred to RMC for the Spring 1918 term because of the Halifax explosion.
  Went to Esquimalt when the buildings for the new Naval College were ready in Fall 1918.
  Midshipman RCN 1 September 1920.
  To HMS Diana 1920.
  Transferred to Royal Navy in 1921.
  Sub-Lieutenant RN 1924.
  Awarded Admiralty Silver Medal in 1928 for naval history which was accompanied
 by a cash award of 250 pounds.
  Promoted to LCdr, RN on 11 October 1932.
  To HMS Vernon in 1934.
  Promoted Commander, RN on 31 December 1938 and on staff of Admiralty.
  Executive Officer HMS Mauritius in 1942.
  Home listed as Effingham at the time of award of the MID.
  Captain, RN on 31 December 1944.
  Senior Naval Officer Schleswig-Holstein 1946.
Commanded HMS Kenya in the Far East in 1949 and during
 the Korean War (DSO, MID and Bronze Star with V device).
 Promoted Commodore RN and made Director of Operations Division in 1951.
 Promoted to Rear-Admiral 1954 and made Flag Officer Middle East (Ismailia and Cyprus).
 To Admiralty Material Requirements Committee in 1956.
 Retired 1959.
 Died at Haslemere, Surrey, UK on 10 October 1988.

Naval Cadet, RCN                        1917	(Royal Naval College of Canada - Age 14)
Midshipman, RCN            01 September 1920	(Age 17)
Midshipman, RN                          1921	(Served in HMS Diana)
Sub-Lieutenant, RN                      1924	(Awarded Admiralty Silver Medal)
Lieutenant-Commander, RN    11 October  1932	(Served in HMS Vernon)
Commander, RN              31 December  1938	(Executive Officer HMS Mauritius)
Captain, RN                31 December  1944	(CO HMS Kenya in Korea Awarded DSO / MID)
Commodore, RN                           1951	(Director of Operations Division)
Rear-Admiral, RN                        1954	(Flag Officer Middle East - Awarded CB)
Retired                                 1959	(Admiralty Material Requirements Division)
           "For distinguished services in operations which led to
           the successful landing of Allied Forces in Normandy."

              Medals of Rear-Admiral Patrick Willet BROCK, CB, DSO, RN
   CB - DSO (GVI) - 39/45 Star - Atlantic Star with BAR France & Germany - Burma Star
 - Italy Star - 1939/45 War Medal with MID - British Korea Medal with MID - UN Korea
EIIR Coronation Medal - Croix de Guerre (France)
 - Bronze Star with 'V' Device (United States of America)
          Medals held by CFB Esquimalt Museum

                                * * * * *

DEANE, John, Temporary Lieutenant (E) - Mention in Despatches - RNVR
 - Awarded as per London Gazette of 1 July 1941 (no Canada Gazette).
  Born Farnham Bucks, UK on 14 July 1910.
  Home:  Halifax, Nova Scotia.
  Joined RN as Electrical Lieutenant, RNVR in 1939.
  Transferred to RCNVR in 1943 as Lieutenant-Commander.
  To Stadacona as Officer-in-Charge of RCN Barracks and Officer-in-Charge
 Electrical Section Torpedo School Halifax 1943.
  Cdr 1943 and transferred to RCN.
  Naval Service HQ as Director Electrical Personnel in 1945.
  To HMCS Ontario in 1948 as Senior Electrical Officer.
  In 1950, to Stadacona on staff (Electrical Branch) of Flag Officer Atlantic Coast
 as Command Electrical Officer Halifax and Officer-in-Charge of Electrical School Halifax.
  Principal Naval Overseer Sorel 1952.
  Promoted Captain in 1953.
  To Naval HQ as Assistant Chief Naval Technical Services (Ships) in 1954.
  National Defence College of Canada (Course 11) in 1957.
  Promoted Commodore (L) and made Commodore Superintendent Pacific Coast
 and Superintendent HMC Dockyard Esquimalt in 1958.
  To Bytown on Staff of Chief of Naval Technical Services as Deputy Chief
 of Naval Technical Services in 1961. 
  Vice-President of Maritime Museum of British Columbia in 1958.
  Retired 1965.
  Died at White Rock 1 November 1991.

Electrical Lieutenant (Temporary) RNVR                  1939
Electrical Lieutenant-Commander   RNVR     30 September 1941
Electrical Lieutenant-Commander   RCNVR    31 March     1943   (seniority 30 Sept 1941)
Acting Electrical Commander       RCN      05 July      1943
Captain (L)                       RCN      01 January   1953
Commodore (L)                     RCN      11 August    1958
Retires                      from RCN      04 December  1965                       

          "For outstanding zeal, patience and cheerfulness and for never
          failing to set an example of wholehearted devotion to duty without which
          the high tradition of the Royal Navy could not have been upheld."
                                   * * * * *

FAIRCLOUGH, John Claude, Sub-Lieutenant (A) - Mention in Despatches - RNVR / FAA
 ­ Awarded as per London Gazette of 5 September 1944.
  Home:  Halifax, Nova Scotia.

          "For courage, skill and devotion to duty while operating from or
          serving in H.M. Ships Furious and Victorious during many successful
          strikes at enemy shipping off the Coast of Norway."

                                   * * * * *

FRASER-HARRIS, Alexander Beaufort, Lieutenant (P) - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)
 - RN - Awarded as per London Gazette of 25 June 1940.
Born:  16 November 1916 at Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Naval Cadet RN 1 September 1930 at Royal Naval College on Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship.
  Midshipman RN 1936.
  To HMS Achilles for Training 1936.
  To HMS Repulse for Training in 1936.
  To HMS Westcott for Training 1937 doing international non-intervention Patrols
 for Spanish Civil War.
  Acting Sub-Lieutenant RN 1 January 1937; Sub-Lieutenant RN 1938.
  To HMS Winshelsea for Watchkeeping Certificate 1938.
  To Flying Training at Civilian Clubs and to RAF Netheravon for Flying Training in 1938.
  Awarded Wings 1 April 1939.
  To RNAS Donbristle for Naval Fighter Course and Advanced Flying Training in 1938.
  To HMS Argus for Deck Landing Training 1939.
  Lieutenant RN 15 April 1939.
  HMS Glorious with No. 803 Squadron flying Skua aircraft in 1939.
  To RNAS Wick for Convoy Patrols in late 1939.
  Flew off of HMS Glorious for raids to sink cruiser Konigsberg in 1940.
  To RNAS Yeovilton for No. 759 Fighter Training Squadron as Instructor in 1940.
  In 1940, he was shot down during attacks on shipping and seaplane base
 at Trondheim Norway, and returned to the UK (received DSC).
  To HMS Tern (II) for No. 801 Squadron flying Hurricanes as Flight Commander in 1945.
  To HMS Ark Royal as Commanding Officer of No. 807 Squadron flying Skua aircraft.
  To No. 807 Squadron flying Fulmar aircraft off of HMS Argus.
  To HMS Furious with No. 807 Squadron flying Seafire.
  Promoted to Acting LCdr (A) RN 1943 and to Senior Operations Officer
 to Flag Officer Naval Air Service in 1943.
  To RAF Millfield for Wing Leader's Course (Spitfires II and V) in 1944.
  Promoted to LCdr (P) RN 16 August 1945 and to HMS Afrikander (RNAS Wingfield)
 as Commanding Officer 1945.
  He was shot down in the desert attacking airfields at Oran and was a POW of
 French forces for five days in 1942 (received Bar to DSC).
  He received the Distinguished Service Cross and Bar in WW2.
  Transferred to RCNR 1946 as LCdr (P) with Seniority 13 November 1946.
  To Naval HQ as Commanding Officer Naval Air Section 1946.
  First Commanding Officer of No. 1 Training Air Group May 1947 to July 1948.
  Promoted to Commander 1 July 1948 and posted to Stadacona as Commander-in-Command
 of Royal Canadian Naval Air Section at Dartmouth in 1948.
  Acting Captain 1 December 1948 but reverted to Commander 1 August 1949 and
 sent to USN War College Course.
Commanding Officer of HMCS Nootka (II) 29 August 1950 to 16 September 1951
 and took the ship to Korea.
  Awarded a Mention in Despatches for Korea and made a Legionnaire, Legion of Merit (USA).
  To Stadacona as Commander RCN Barracks in 1951.
  Promoted Captain RCN 1 January 1954 and to Naval HQ as Director of Naval Aviation
 from March 1953 to October 1955.
  National Defence College of Canada in 1955.
 Commanding Officer of HMCS Magnificent (Aircraft Carrier) August 1956 to June 1957.
  Took ship to Suez canal crisis and served as Naval Deputy to UN Commander in 1956.
  To Staff of Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic as Assistant Director
 (Plans and annual Review) in 1957.
  To Naval Headquarters as Director of Naval Ship Requirements 1960.
  Promoted Commodore 12 October 1962 and to Naval HQ as Assistant Chief of Naval Staff
 (Air and Warfare) from October 1962 to July 1964.
  Retired 29 April 1965.
  After retirement, he became a charter skipper in the East Indies.
See Complete story Under Korea.  Died in England on 29 October 2003.
FRASER-HARRIS. Alexander Beaufort Fraser, 0-25245, Cadet [1.9.30] RN
Mid 1936, A/S/Lt [1.1.37] S/Lt 1938
Wings awarded [1.4.39] Lt [16.5.39]
DSC [25.6.40] "He was shot down during attacks on shipping and seaplane base
 at Trodheim Norway, and returned to the UK"
Bar to DSC [22.9.42] "He was shot down in the desert attacking airfields at Oran
 and was a POW of French forces for 5 days in 1942"
LCdr(A) [1.2.43]
LCdr(P) [16.8.45] awarded additional seniority for 'Meritorious War Service'
LCdr(A) [16.8.45]
Transferred RCN(R) 1946
LCdr(P) [13.11.46] RCN(R)
Transferred RCN 1946
LCdr [19.12.46]
Cdr [1.7.48] A/Capt [1.12.48] reverted Cdr [1.8.49]
HMCS NOOTKA (213) DD, CO, (29.8.50-16.9.51)
MID [10.5.52]
Capt [1.1.54]
Awarded Legionnaire - Legion of Merit, by USA [16.4.55]
HMCS MAGNIFICENT (21) CVL, CO, (3.8.56-14.6.57)
Cmdre [12.10.62] Retired 29.4.65.

Cadet, RN                                                     01 September 1930   Royal Naval College
Midshipman, RN                                                                   1936   HMS Achilles / HMS Repulse / Spanish Civil War
Acting Sub-Lieutenant, RN                             01 January    1937
Sub-Lieutenant, RN                                       01 January     1938   HMS Winshelsea / RAF Netheravon Flying
   Wings                                                         01 April           1938   HMS Argus Deck / HMS Glorious Skua aircraft
Acting Lieutenant-Commander (A), RN                                1943   Wing Leader's Course at RAF Millfield (DSC & Bar WW2)
Lieutenant-Commander(P), RN                     16 August       1945   RNAS Wingfiled as Commanding Officer
Lieutenant-Commander(P), RCNR                13 November  1946   Commanding Officer No. 1 Training Air Group
Commander, RCN                                         01 July            1948   Commander of RCN Air Section at Dartmouth
Acting Captain, RCN                                      01 December 1948   USN War College Course
Commanding, RCN                                       01 August       1949   Commanding Officer HMCS Nootka (II) / Korea - Legion of Merit (USA)
Captain, RCN                                                01 January     1954    Director of  Naval Aviation / CO HMCS Magnificent
Commodore                                                   12 October     1942   Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Air and Warfare)
Retired                                                           19 April           1965   Charter Skipper in the East Indies 

Citation DSC

                "He was shot down during attacks on shipping and seaplane
         base at Trodheim Norway, and returned to the UK"

Details of action for which DSC awarded:

At dawn on April 10 1940, shortly after the German invasion of Norway, Fraser-Harris
 was Blue Three of the first wave of Blackburn Skua dive-bombers from 800 and 803
 Naval Air Squadrons which struck at the German cruiser Konigsberg.
 Flying in poor weather at extreme range from the Orkneys made accurate navigation essential.

Fraser-Harris's aircrewman, Leading Torpedo Air Gunner George Scott Russell, was spot on as they dived at an angle of 60 degrees from 8,000 ft through a thin layer of cloud with the sun behind them. Their 500 lb bomb hit the cruiser's bows, making a large flaming hole while others also struck the ship, which they saw sinking as the Skuas departed through the smoke.

They had achieved complete surprise, with one bullet hole in a wing being the only damage sustained during what wasthe first sinking of a major warship in wartime by aerial bombing. Fraser-Harris was mentioned in dispatches and awarded the DSC for his daring and resource in the conduct of hazardous and successful operations. Some days later, however, he flew from the ill-fated carrier Glorious and shot down a Heinkel bomber, then was brought down by ground fire off Trondheim. After ditching in shallow water, Fraser-Harris and Russell were pelted with rocks by villagers, who mistook them for Germans. But when the Norwegians realised that the pair were British, they gave them clothing and food for a trek over the mountains in which the melting snow forced them to alternate between walking and skiing.

Eventually they were smuggled aboard a fishing boat and delivered to the headquarters of the British commander at Namsos, Lt-Gen Carton de Wiart, before being evacuated in the cruiser Cairo. Glorious was sunk by the German battlecruisers Gneisenau and Scharnhorst; years later Fraser-Harris attended a ceremony at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, where the Norwegians returned him the control column of his aircraft, to be used in the reconstruction of a Skua.

FRASER-HARRIS, Alexander Beaufort, Lieutenant (P), DSC - Bar to DSC (DSC*) -
 RN - Awarded as per London Gazette of 22 September 1942.

         "He was shot down in the desert attacking airfields at Oran
         and was a POW of French forces for five days in 1942.

Details of Bar to DSC:

For a few months in 1941 he honed his skills flying Sea Hurricanes in 801 Squadron,
 under the command of the air ace Lt-Cdr Rupert Brabner who, when Under Secretary
 of State for Air, was later to be lost off the Azores.
 As the senior pilot of 807 Squadron, Fraser-Harris had taken off from the carrier
 HMS Ark Royal when she was torpedoed and sunk.  He flew on to North Front, Gibraltar,
 where he formed a scratch squadron of Fulmars and Sea Hurricanes to join the elderly
 training carrier Argus, which was engaged in the relief of Malta.
 Subsequently, during Operation Harpoon, his squadron shot down four Italian aircraft.

During Operation Torch, the Allied landings in North Africa, his squadron shot down three
 airraft and destroyed 20 others on the ground.  While strafing the airfield at Tararoui,
 however, Fraser-Harris was hit by anti-aircraft fire, and forced to land in the desert.

He was betrayed by tribesmen and taken prisoner by Vichy French for five days until rescued
by American troops who had captured Oran.  French hospitality was not, Fraser-Harris recalled,
was good as in Paris three years before.  He was awrded a bar to his DSC.

* * * * *

GODDARD, Rene Irving Whitley, Lieutenant (A) - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) - RNVR - Awarded as per London Gazette of 14 December 1943. Later RCNR.
From Ottawa, Ontario.
GODDARD. Rene Irving Whitley "Terry", 0-27578,(Ottawa, Ontario)
FAA, (Canadian) Lt(A) RNVR; DSC~[14.12.43]
Later RCNR.
Lt(O) [7.6.42] RCN
HMCS HAIDA (G63) DD, (8.9.47-?)
826 Sqn CO, (28.1.48-?)
18 CAG, (1.12.48-?)
LCdr(O) [7.6.50]
Operations & Chief Ground Instructor & OIC Observer School (20.4.50-?)

"For outstanding bravery & skill in many successful sorties against enemy shipping in the Mediterranean while operating from Malta & North Africa"

* * * * *

GOODEVE, Charles Frederick, Commander - Officer - Order of the British Empire (OBE) - RNR / HMS Vernon - Awarded as per London Gazette of 1 January 1941.

Born: 21 February 1904 in Neepawa, Ontario. he He was one of a family of five, with two older sisters and two younger brothers. His mother was Emma (née Hand); Charles's father, F. W. Goodeve, M.A., was an Anglican clergyman. When he was 3, family moved to Stonewall (20 miles north of Winnipeg). In Winnipeg he went to Kelvin High School and in 1919 he entered Manitoba University in the B.A. program and transferred to the B.Sc. program in 1921. He passed his B.Sc. exams in 1925, but was not granted his degree until the French language exam (which he had failed) ceased to be a requirement. For the next two years he held an assistant lectureship and continued to work on his electrolytic problem. He obtained an M. Sc. in Electrochemistry in 1927 and in that same year was awarded an 1851 Exhibition Scholarship to be held at University College London.

During his third year at University, Charles's sailing interests led him to join the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve as a Midshipman.

In 1928 he was given the Scientific Club of Manitoba Prize and the Plummer Gold Medal of the Engineering Society of Canada, both for his electrolytic researches. Before leaving for England, he reported to Esquimalt to take the ancient destroyer HMCS Patrician to sea, carry out certain manoeuvres and anchor her in the bay to complete his Navigation qualification. As they were about to leave, he ordered "Slow ahead, port" to swing her stern out, but hardly had he uttered the word when there was a colossal explosion and clouds of steam billowed from the engine room hatch. It was the end of the veteran. Patrician's main engine connections had burst asunder. Young Goodeve climbed sadly down from the bridge. He was never again to have the opportunity of gaining the "N" that he coveted, but England, which offered vastly greater scope to the scientist, was to widen the experience of the sailor too.'

In the autumn of 1927 Charles arrived in London and reported to Professor Frederick Donnan, F.R.S.-that distinguished physical chemist who was then head of the Chemistry Department at University College London. He advanced at the University until the war broke out.

In 1932 Charles married Janet Wallace, the daughter of a Presbyterian minister. She had been born in Ontario, and brought up in southern Saskatchewan. She received her Ph.D. in 1932. Janet became a leading member of Charles's research group, and, supported with I.C.I. money, worked on the absorption spectra of ethyl nitrate and nitrite, nitroethane, and methyl methacrylate and its polymer. Charles and Janet had two sons, Peter Julian born on 9 March 1936 and John Anthony born 4 August 1944. The older is an expert in computer software, and the younger a business executive.

Charles kept up his naval interests through the R.N.V.R. He went to sea in submarines and minesweepers, and served in four battleships and three destroyers. He qualified as a torpedo specialist at Devonport and then specialized on the electrical side. In 1936 he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Commander and began to direct some of his researches towards naval problems. For these he obtained Admiralty finance and as a result became acquainted with Admiralty departments and procedures. He did attachments in H.M.S. Vernon, the mining establishment in Portsmouth, and these led to his being appointed there when war broke out in 1939.

Much of Charles's naval work was vividly and accurately described by Gerald Pawle in his book The secret war (G. G. Harrap and Co. Ltd, London, 1956). It became clear that Charles’ design of the Double L sweep would help remove magnetic mines. Charles had by then been promoted to the rank of Commander. He helped develop the demagnetizing of ships (called wiping) and was awarded the OBE.

In October 1942 he was appointed Assistant (later Deputy) Controller Research and Development. This was a new civilian appointment in which Charles wielded the powers of the Controller in relation to Research and Development. He had regretfully to relinquish his naval rank.

At the conclusion of the war in recognition of his great contributions to the allied effort at sea, Charles was created a Knight Bachelor (1946) and awarded the U.S. Medal of Freedom with Silver Palm.

When the war came to an end Charles was invited to become Director of the British Iron and Steel Research Association.
He was a director of the Industrial and Commercial Finance Corporation from 1965 to 1974, of Technical Development Capital Ltd from 1966 to 1974, and of the London and Scandinavian Metallurgical Company from 1968 until his death. He was Vice-President of the Parliamentary and Scientific Committee from 1950 to 1962, a member of the Lord President's Council on Scientific Policy from 1953 to 1956 and a member of the National Industrial Fuel Efficiency Service from 1968 to 1972. He was a Vice-President of the Royal Society from 1968 to 1970, Scientific Adviser to the British Transport Commission from 1948 to 1958 and a Governor of Imperial College from 1961 to 1973. He was Master of the Worshipful Company of Salters from 1958 to 1959, President of the Chemical Section of the British Association in 1956 and a Member of Council of the Tavistock Institute of Human Relations from 1967 onwards. It might be supposed that with so many responsibilities some or all of these appointments were sinecures. That was not so; Charles made a point of pulling his weight in all he did, attending meetings with great regularity and contributing ideas to the limit of his abilities.
Charles received honorary doctorates from the Universities of Manitoba (1946), Sheffield (1956), Birmingham (1962), Newcastle upon Tyne (1970) and Salford (1974).


"For work in developing the demagnetizing of ships

(called wiping) and magnetic sweeping of mine."

GOODEVE, Charles Frederick, Commander, OBE - Knight Bachelor (Kt) - RNR - Awarded as per London Gazette of 1 January 1946.

"Confer the Honour of Knighthood on:

Charles Frederick GOODEVE, O.B.E., D.Sc., F.R.S., Deputy Controller,

Research and Development, Admiralty".

Knighted on 12 March 1946.

* * * * *

GRAVES, George Winram Robertson, Acting Lieutenant-Commander - Mention in Despatches - RNR - Awarded as per London Gazette of 28 November 1944. Home: Vancouver, B.C.

"For distinguished services in operations which led to the

successfullanding of Allied Forces in Normandy.

" * * * * *

GUNN, Richard Aitken, Temporary Acting Sub-Lieutenant (E) - Mention in Despatches - RNVR - Awarded as per London Gazette of 25 July 1944.

Home: St. John, Newfoundland.

"For bravery, leadership, skill and devotion to duty while operating

from, or serving in H.M. Ships Victorious, Furious, Emperor, Pursuer

and Searcher during successful strikes at enemy shipping off the

coast of Norway."

* * * * *

HAYES, Godfrey Harry ('Skinny'), Probationary Acting Sub-Lieutenant - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) - RNR

- Awarded as per London Gazette of 27 December 1940.
Born 12 August 1919 in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Attended Gordon Bell High School, Winnipeg.
Went to HMS Conway Liverpool, England and nominated for a commission in Royal Naval Reserve on leaving Conway summer 1938.
When war broke out he was senior apprentice in small cargo ship of the Silver Line.
To HMS King Orry (former passenger ferry) as Navigation Officer (rank of Midshipman) from 25 April 1940 to 29 May 1940. His ship was sunk at Dunkirk on 29 May 1940 on it’s second trip to Dunkirk.
Promoted Acting Sub-Lieutenant end of July 1940.
To HMS Gatinais (a former transport ship) as Navigation Officer from July 1940 to June 1941. The ship operated the Mobile Balloon Barrage in English Channel. Awarded DSC for bravery in manning the mobile balloon barrage which were constantly attacked by aircraft and German ‘E’ Boats. He shot down an attacking aircraft one night.
Married Pam Marsden on 22 March 1940. Five children: Jinny, Michael, Stephen, Dave and Liz.
Transferred to RCNR in 22 May 1941 with rank of Sub-Lieutenant.
Appointed to HMCS Trillium (Corvette) and served as Navigator from 06 June 1941 to October 1942.
Promoted Lieutenant (RCNR) April 1942.
Granted special leave October 1942 from HMCS Trillium.
Passed 2nd Mates ticket; invested with DSC in Ottawa and had Christmas (1942) at home in Winnipeg.
Served as Executive Officer in HMCS Kenogami from January 1943 to October 1943.
To Sea Training Staff (Acadia) from October 1943 until April 1944. To stand by Guelph until commissioning on 09 May 1944.
Transferred to RCN in July 1944.
Commanding Officer of HMCS Guelph (Revised Flower Class Corvette - K687) from 9 May 1944 to 14 May 1944.
90 days accumulated annual leave followed by 2 months sick leave.
Appointed to 'stand by' and commission HMCS Warrior (Aircraft Carrier) in January 1946.
Appointed Staff Officer Reserves at Naden in January 1947.
Commissioned HMCS Malahat (Naval Reserve Division) as Staff Officer in April 1947.
‘Pierhead Jump’ in September 1947 to Staff Officer HMCS Discovery and worked on Fraser River floods in summer 1948.
Appointed to HMCS Ontario 'for watchkeeping duties' in August 1948.
Promoted LCdr April 1949 and made Training Officer in HMCS Ontario.
Commanding Officer of HMCS St. Stephen (Frigate - 323) from 26 August 1949 to 31 August 1950 (east coast weather ship).
After one year taking turns on Weather Station Baker, off the tip of Greenland, brought HMCS St. Stephen around to Esquimalt and took the destroyer HMCS Crescent back to Halifax.
Commanding Officer of HMCS Crescent (Destroyer - 226) from 26 September 1950 to 31 August 1950.
In Summer of 1951 became the Reserve Training Commander, West Coast in Esquimalt. After two summers of Reserve Training, mostly U.N.T.D. cadets.
Promoted to Commander, RCN on 1 July 1953 and appointed to R.C.A.F. Staff College in Toronto.
Moved to Manor Park in Ottawa in 1954 with Pam and their four children, Jinny (11), Michael (9), Stephen (5) and David (2 ½).
Summer of 1954 was appointed to NSHQ as Deputy Director of Officer Personnel and in the summer of 1956 was rewarded with the command of HMCS Saguenay "on commissioning in December 1956.
Commanding Officer of HMCS Saguenay (Destroyer Escort - 206) from 15 December 1956 to 13 March 1958.
Command time was cut short in March 1958 when he was recalled to NSHQ as part of the Tisdall Report Implementation Team to bring about far-reaching changes to the structure of the Navy.
Promoted Captain, 1 July, 1959 and appointed Director of Officer Personnel still in NSHQ (until 1962).
Commander of 2nd Canadian Escort Squadron based in Esquimalt from August 1962 until June 1964.
Senior Naval Advisor, staff of Canadian Defence Liaison Staff London from July 1964 to July 1967.
Commanding Officer, Stadacona from August 1967 to January 1969 thence "Base Administration Officer CFB Halifax" until summer 1969.
Chief of Staff to Flag Officer Pacific Coast from August 1969 to summer of 1972.
Base Commander, CFB Esquimalt from Summer of 1972 until retirement on 55th birthday 12 August 1974.
Awarded OMM 22 June, 1974.
After retirement served as a Director on the Pacific Pilotage
Authority for eleven years. At the same time he was involved
in the development and operational design of the Seabus harbour
ferry system for Vancouver Harbour in 1976/77.
Many years in N.O.A.C., including a two-year term as National President.
President Saanich Peninsula Hospital Board 1983 to 1991.
Western Representative of Canadian Naval Memorial Trust.
Died 06 July 2006 in Victoria, British Columbia. See Starshell (Naval Officer's Association) article by Migs Turner Volume VII, No. 35, Summer 2006
Wrote a book on his life "Days of Endeavour".
HAYES. Godfrey Harry, 0-31840, P/A/S/Lt RNR
DSC [27.12.40] "For courageous and Continuous good service in the Channel Mobile Balloon Barrage"
S/Lt (12.08.40) Transferred to RCN [22.5.41]
HMCS TRILLIUM (K172) Cof, (6.6.41-?) Lt [25.4.41]
HMCS ACADIA (Z00)(A) a/s, (18.12.43-?)
HMCS GUELPH (K687) Cofm, CO, stand by (13.3.44-8.5.44)
HMCS GUELPH (K687) Cofm, CO, (9.5.44-14.5.45)
LCdr, HMCS ST. STEPHEN (323) Fr, CO, (26.8.49-31.8.50)
HMCS CRESCENT (226) DD, CO, (26.9.50-24.9.51)
Cdr, HMCS SAGUENAY (206) DDE, CO, (15.12.56-13.3.58)
Capt, HMCS FRASER (233) DDE, Commander 2nd Canadian Escort Squadron, (6.9.62-3.10.62)

"For courage and continuous good services in the Channel Mobile Balloon Barrage."

There were 5 gallantry awards to the Mobile Balloon Barrage staff (DSO, DSC, DSM and 2 MIDs). HMS Gatinais (a former transport ship) operated as a Mobile Balloon Barrage in English Channel and ‘Skinny’ Hayes served on board from July 1940 to June 1941. His DSC was awarded for bravery as the ship went out into the English Channel each night to escort convoys and were constantly attacked by aircraft and German ‘E’ Boats. They sat in ‘Hell’s Corner’ in the English Channel. Hayes shot down an attacking German aircraft one night.

Awarded Officer - Order of Military Merit (OMM) as per Canada Gazette of 22 June 1974, Captain(N) Godfrey Harry HAYES, OMM, DSC, CD.

Medals of Captain(N) Godfrey Harry HAYES, OMM, DSC, CD (RCN):

OMM - DSC - 39/45 Star - Atlantic Star - Africa Star - CVSM & Clasp - 39/45 War Medal - Centennial Medal -EIIR Jubilee - CD and two Bars.

* * * * *

KEITH, Lloyd Kenneth, Lieutenant (A) (Killed in Action) - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) - RN / No. 813 RN Squadron HMS Eagle - Awarded as per London Gazette of 8 January 1942. Born in Calgary, Alberta. In 1941 was a Lieutenant (A), Royal Navy with the Fleet Air Arm. Operating from HMS Eagle with No. 813 RN Squadron flying Swordfish.

He was killed in action at Tobruk North Africa on 26 June 1941.

KEITH. Lloyd Kenneth, Lt(A) RNR, FAA DSC [8.1.42]

"For outstanding gallantry, fortitude & resolution during the Battle of Crete" KIA Tobruk [20.6.41]

"For outstanding gallantry, fortitude and

resolution during the Battle of Crete."

Medals of Lieutenant (A) Lloyd Kenneth KEITH, DSC, RNR

DSC - 1939/45 Star - Africa Star - 39/45 War Medal with MID.


* * * * *


MARTYN, Lieutenant (Air) William Haig - Mention in Despatches - awarded as per London Gazette dated 4 October 1940.
A native of Calgary, Alberta.
He was a Pilot Officer in the RAF in 1936 and transferred to the Fleet Air Arm in 1938.
Sub-Lieutenant (Air), Royal Navy at No. 14 Elementary Flying Training School and then No. 5 Service Flying Training School.
Promoted Lieutenant (A), RN in 1940.
Flying from HMS Formidable with No.888 Squadron as Senior Pilot in 1942.
Commanding Officer of No. 888 RN Squadron now serving in HMS Argus.
Commanding Officer of No. 888 RN Squadron serving in HMS Indomitable.
Commanding Officer of No. 888 RN Squadron now serving in HMS Stalker.
Promoted to Lieutenant-Commander (A), RN in 1944.
Commanding Officer of No. 888 RN Squadron now serving in HMS Furious.
Survived the war and demobilized.
Died in April 1975.

He was credited with shooting down four enemy aircraft during WW2.
Combat claims as follows (provided by Frank Olynk):
17 April 1940, 1400 hours, No.801 Squadron, one Do.18 or Do.26 destroyed west of Stavanger while flying Skua II (serial unknown), shared with Lieutenant-Commander H. Peter Bramwell in Skua II L2907, 7A and Sun-Lieutenant Bernard Frank Wigginton in Skua II L2921, 7F, combat report in Public Record Office ADM 199/115-464, 465 and 466;
26 April 1940, No.801 Squadron, one He.111 destroyed, 1145 hours over Lesjaskog, Skua coded 7C, shared with Lieutenant-Commander H. Peter Bramwell in L2907;
12 August 1942, No.800 Squadron, one Ju.88 destroyed, 0900-1930 hours, between Gibraltar and Malta, Sea Hurricane I V7516, combat report in Public Record Officer ADM 199/115-248;
12 August 1942, one Ju.88 destroyed, shared with Sub-Lieutenant J.L. Hastings (Z4056), combat report in ADM 119/115-252. No citation other than:

"For good services in an air attack on oil tanks in Norway."

MARTYN, William Haig, Lieutenant (A) - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) - RN / FAA - Awarded as per London Gazette of 22 November 1940.

"For continued good services in operations against enemy forces in Norway."

MARTYN, Lieutenant (A) William Haig - Mention in Despatches - Awarded as per London Gazette dated 10 November 1942.

"For bravery and dauntless resolution...when an important convoy was fought through to Malta in the face of relentless attacks by day and night from submarines, aircraft and surface forces."

MARTYN, Lieutenant Commander William Haig, DSC - Bar to Distinguished Service Cross - No.888 Squadron - Awarded as per London Gazette dated 5 September 1944.
Commanding Officer of No. 888 RN Squadron.
This was one of a group of awards made:

"For courage, skill and devotion to duty while operating from or serving in His Majesty's Ships Furious and Victorious during many successful strikes at enemy shipping off the coast of Norway."

* * * * *


PETERS, Frederick Thornton, Commander, DSO, DSC - Bar to DSC (DSC*) - RN / HMS Thirlmere - Awarded as per London Gazette of 11 July 1940.

Born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on 17 September 1889. His father was the first Liberal Premier of Prince Edward Island. His mother was the daughter of one of the Fathers of Confederation, John Hamilton Grey. The family moved to Victoria B.C. in 1898 where his father took a position with the Alaska Boundary commission. They later moved to Prince Rupert, B.C. where he completed his schooling.

Joined the Royal Navy as a Cadet in January 1905.

"Fritz" Peters was 16 years old at this time.

In 1906 he went to sea as a midshipman and was commissioned as a Sub­Lieutenant in 1909.

He was awarded the Silver Messina Earthquake medal from the Italian government in recognition of his service in leading shore rescue parties during the evacuation of the population in danger from the erupting volcano, Mount Messina in 1908.

He operated gunboats on "The China Station" prior to World War One.

He was in the Royal Navy on the outbreak of World War One and on 24th January, 1915, he was serving at First Lieutenant in HMS Meteor when his ship tried to launch torpedoes against the German ship 'Blucher'. 'Blucher' was able to hit HMS Meteor with an 8.2 inch shell, seriously damaging HMS Meteor. Lieutenant Peters was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and a Mention in Despatches.

In March 1918, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) "for services in Destroyer and Torpedo Boat Flotillas during the period ending 31 December 1917."

World War I summary

PETERS. Frederick "Fritz" Thornton, WW.I, Lt, RN

MID~[15.1.15] DSO~[3.3.15] DSC~[8.3.18] "For service in Destroyers and Torpedo Boat Flotillas during the period ending 31 Dec 1917"

At the beginning of the Second World War, he was promoted to Commander and given command of a flotilla of small boats operating against German submarines. The flotilla sank two German Submarines and in 1940, he was awarded the Bar to his Distinguished Service Cross. Supplement to the LONDON GAZETTE 11 July 1940, page 4257. "The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following award for good services in the Royal Navy since the outbreak of War:

-­ Bar to the Distinguished Service Cross: Commander Frederick Thornton PETERS, DSO, DSC, HMS "Thirlmere".

PETERS, Frederick Thornton, Captain, DSO, DSC* - VICTORIA CROSS (VC) - RN - Awarded as per London Gazette of 18 May 1943.

He was sent to Gibraltar to plan the attack on the harbour at Oran which was protected by the Vichy French. The Task Force Commander, Admiral Cunningham, had determined that the boom defences in the harbour of Oran, Morocco had to be destroyed. Peters planned the assault but the plans were known by the French defending Oran and the operation called off. After, a brief period, the operation was determined necessary. 'Fritz' Peters decided since it was a suicide charge, he would take command of the two ex­American coast guard cutters HMS 'Walney' and HMS 'Hartland' personally and lead the charge. The ships had three main tasks to perform. The first was to break the boom defences. The second was to land 17 officers and 376 enlisted men from the US Army Rangers 6th Armoured Corps and to take the seize the shore installations, immobilize the French warships (14 in total ranging from a submarine to a heavily armed cruiser). The third task was to launch motorized mines from six canoes that would be put overboard once the ships were in the harbour. To fully appreciate what happened in this naval action, you must read both the citations for the two decorations he was awarded that day:

The American Army Distinguished Service Cross and the highest gallantry award, the Victoria Cross. The American DSC was gazetted in the London Gazette 19/01/43 and the citation reads:

"While in command of the ship carrying Landing Forces of the United States Army into the harbour of Oran, Morocco, in the early morning of 8 November 1942, Captain Peters distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy during the attack on that port. He remained on the bridge in command of his ship in spite of the fact that the protective armour thereon had been blown in by enemy shellfire and was thereby exposed personally to the withering cross­fire from shore defences. He accomplished the berthing of his ship, then went to the forward deck and assisted by one officer, secured the forward mooring lines. He then, with utter disregard of his own personal safety went to the quarter­deck and assisted in securing the aft mooring lines so that the troops on board could disembark. At that time, the engine room was in flames and very shortly thereafter exploded and the ship turned on its side and sank."

The citation for the Victoria Cross published in the London Gazette 18 May 1943 was made to sound very bland so that the French would not be offended. The citation is as follows:

"Captain Peters was in the 'suicide charge' by two little cutters at Oran. 'Walney' and 'Hartland' were two ex­American coast guard cutters which were lost in a gallant attempt to force the boom defences in the harbour of Oran during the landings on the North African coast. Captain Peters led his force through the boom in the face of pointblank fire from shore batteries, a destroyer and cruiser ­ a feat which was described as one of the great episodes of naval history. The Walney reached the jetty disabled and ablaze, and went down with her colours flying. Blinded in one eye, Captain Peters was the only survivor of the seventeen men on the bridge of the 'Walney'. He was taken prisoner but was later released when Oran was captured. On being liberated from gaol, he was carried through the streets where the citizens hailed him with flowers." Winston Churchill described the action as the greatest naval battle since Trafalgar. The first objective of breaking the boom defences was achieved in the full frontal attack on a heavily armed port and allowed a floating dockyard to be brought into the harbour for the 'Torch' Operation landings. The second objective of landing US Rangers and a few Royal Navy Commandos was a failure as 9 officers and 180 men were killed and 5 officers and 152 enlisted men wounded. Only 3 officers and 44 men from the other units aboard the two vessels survived. The motorized mines did not work. The 'Hartland' was not able to launch the canoes as they were crushed when placed overboard. Only one of the canoes was successfully launched from the 'Walney' and it slipped into port unnoticed. Unfortunately, the motorized mines did not work and this part of the operation was a total failure.

To complete the story of this gallant attack, the following is taken from Jack McIntyre's story of the attack, code named "Operation Reservist":

"In the early morning hours of 8 November 1942, Peters small ship was being pounded by devastating shellfire at point blank range from shore batteries and from French warships anchored in Oran Harbour. As Walney proceeded down the harbour, a destroyer decided to break out. Peters promptly ordered an attempt at ramming the Frenchman. Walney missed. The destroyer responded by raking Walney with broadsides at a few yards range. The little vessel lurched but continued to limp down the harbour. The toll in death and destruction was mounting. Walney's position was hopeless and Peters knew it. Soon she came under fire from a French cruiser berthed alongside the jetty at the far end of the harbour. Walney took a direct hit in the engine room. The bridge exploded in flame from another, blowing Peters off the bridge, the only survivor of eighteen officers and men, wounded in the shoulder and blinded in one eye. The devastation above and below decks was indescribable. Many of the troops had come above decks to lob grenades and spray small arms fire at the enemy ships close by. The wounded were taken to the wardroom. It took a direct hit, the shell exploding in the cramped space, killing everyone there. By now ammunition stores were exploding, as well as depth charges stored below decks. Still Peters drove on undeterred, taking his crippled ship into the jetty and the French cruiser berthed alongside. Walney's situation was hopeless, the objective reached but the ship dying. By now it was a matter of trying to get any troops off who still survived. Some jumped from the harbour to come under machine gun fire from French gunners. Peters went forward from the bridge to help put mooring lines ashore. Then he went aft to do the same thing there. He ordered the ship to be abandoned and jumped into the water and swam ashore. Walney turned on her side and sank in shallow water, the side of her hull showing above the shallows. Her day was finally done. She went down with American and British ensigns still flying. Peters and the other survivors were taken prisoner by the French authorities and given medical treatment. They were liberated days later when allied soldiers, who landed up and down the coast, took Oran from the land. Peters, it was said, was treated as a hero by the French civilian population and borne through the streets of the town on the shoulders of a crowd of people in a strange sort of victory parade." Peters was taken to Gibraltar for further medical treatment and to be flown back to England. It was flying that was to be his undoing something the seas had not been able to achieve. On Friday the thirteenth of November, 1942, Peters with four other naval officers left Gibraltar in a Sunderland Flying Boat of the Royal Australian Air Force. The weather was very good at the start of the flight but worsened as the aircraft approached England. Due to the heavy fog, the plane flew lower and lower and finally crashed into the sea near the Plymouth breakwater. The plane flipped over but all occupants escaped. Flying Officer Whyn Thorpe, captain of the aircraft, spotted a body in the water kept afloat by a lifejacket. The two of them were in the water for 90 minutes before being picked up by a search boat. The accident and the cold water were too much for the brave Canadian and he died that night.

PETERS, Frederick Thornton, Captain, VC, DSO, DSC* - Distinguished Service Cross (USA) - Royal Navy - Awarded in 1943. See Victoria Cross Citation

WWII Summary.

Cdr RN, Bar to DSC~[11.7.40] "The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following award for good services in the RN since the outbreak of War". Capt RN, (Canadian) DSC (USA)~[19.1.43] VC~[18.5.43] Deceased [13.11.42]

Medal of Captain Frederick Thornton PETERS, VC, DSO, DSC*, RN:

VC ­ DSO (George V) ­ DSC (George V) and bar (George VI) ­ 1914 Star ­ British War Medal ­ Victory Medal with MID ­ 1939/45 Star ­ Atlantic Star ­ Africa Star ­ Defence Medal ­ 1939­1945 War Medal ­ Italy's Silver Messina Earthquake Medal (1908) ­ USA Army Distinguished Service Cross.

* * * * *

REED, John Curwin, Lieutenant (A) - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) - RN - Awarded as per London Gazette of 21 October 1941.

Naval Cadet RN 1936 at Royal Naval College Dartmouth.

Sub-Lieutenant (A) RN with No.811 RN Squadron on board HMS Furious in 1937.

With No.823 RN Squadron on board HMS Glorious in 1937.

To No.827 RN Squadron on board HMS Indomitable in 1941.

USNAS 1943-1944.

HMS Emperor as LCdr (A) 1944.

Transferred to RCN 1947 as LCdr (P) RCN and to HMCS Warrior as Commander Air 1947.

Cdr (P) RCN 1 January 1948 and to HMCS Magnificent at Commander (Air).

To Naden for RCN Barracks Esquimalt as Executive Officer in 1949.

Acting Captain 1952 and to HMCS Athabaskan (II) in Command from 25 September 1952 to 20 December 1953 for Korean War Service (awarded OBE).

Canadian Commander Destroyers Far East (CANCOMDESFE) from 27 November 1952 to 18 June 1953. To Niagara for Duty with SACLANT as Assistant Chief of Staff (Personnel and Administration) in 1955.

RCN Director of Joint RCN-RCAF Maritime Warfare School Halifax 1957.

Won the inaugural Bermuda to Halifax Yacht Race in Wanderer IX, for the RCNSA in 1954.

Retired 1960. Died 26 May 1986.

REED. John Curwin "Cocky", 0-61503, Naval Cadet 1936 RN Mid 1937, A/S/Lt(A) 1937, S/Lt(A) 1937, Lt(A) 1941, DSC~[21.10.41] Cdr [1.1.48] RCN HMCS ATHABASKAN (219) DD, CO, (25.9.52-20.12.53) OBE for Korea [6.2.54] Retired 1960, Deceased [25.5.86]

Naval Cadet, RN 1936 (Royal Naval College Dartmouth, U.K.)

Midshipman, RN 1937

Acting Sub-Lieutenant (A), RN 1937 (No. 811 RN Squadron)

Sub-Lieutenant (A), RN 1937 (No. 811 RN Squadron)

Lieutenant (A), RN 1941

Lieutenant-Commander (A), RN 1944

(Transferred to RCN in 1947)

Lieutenant-Commander (P), RCN 1947 (HMCS Warrior as Commander Air)

Commander (P), RCN 01 January 1948

Acting Captain (P), RCN 1952 (CO HMCS Athabaskan (II) in Korea)

Retired 1960

Awarded Officer - Order of the British Empire (OBE) with the RCN in Korea. See details in the Korea section.

* * * * *

SWAIN, Ronald Edward, Temporary Sub-Lieutenant (A) - Mention in Despatches - RNVR - Awarded as per London Gazette of 31 July 1945.

Home: Kingston, Ontario.

"For gallantry, skill and marked devotion

to duty in air strikes in the Far East.

" * * * * *

TATTERSALL, Oswald Withington, Sub-Lieutenant (A) - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) - RN / FAA No. 766 RN Squadron at HMS Landrail - Awarded as per London Gazette of 28 April 1942.

Born Vancouver, British Columbia.

Midshipman (A) (SSA) RN 21 November 1938. To HMS Hermes for RN Pilot's Course #3.

To No. 1 Flying Training School Netheravon in 1939.

Promoted Acting Sub-Lieutenant (A) RN in January 1940.

To HMS Merline for No.774 RN Squadron in 1940.

To HMS Condor for No.767 RN Squadron in 1940.

Promoted Lieutenant (A) RN in 1941.

To HMS Landrail for No.766 RN Squadron in 1942.

Promoted to Acting LCdr in 1943 and to HMS Saker for USNAS Lewiston, Maine in No.738 RN Squadron for F.F.D. and training.

To USNAS Fort Lauderdale as Resident British Naval Officer in 1944.

Commanding Officer of No.744 RN Squadron at HMS Shrike in 1945.

To RNAS Burscough as Commanding Officer of No.825 RN Squadron in late 1945.

Loaned to Royal Canadian Navy January 1946 and made the first Commanding Officer of No.825 RCN Squadron from 24 January 1946 until 31 January 1947.

He was killed while flying a Firefly off Portland Island about four miles north-east of RCAF Patricia Bay where the squadron was stationed while HMCS Warrior was in drydock. Shortly after taking off on 31 January 1947, the plane was seen having problems and an explosion was heard in the direction the plane had gone. Snowstorms hampered the search and no trace of the crew of two (including Tattersall) was never found.

TATTERSALL. Oswald Withington, S/Lt(A) RN, FAA DSC~[28.4.42] Killed [31.1.47] flying accident.

"For sustained courage, skill & enterprise in many air

operations by night & day , against the Enemy in the Mediterranean"

Midshipman (A) (SSA), RN 21 November 1938 (No. 1 Flying Training School)

Acting Sub-Lieutenant (A), RN 05 January 1940 (No. 774 RN Squadron)

Sub-Lieutenant (A), RN 1940 (with Seniority 05 January 1940)

Lieutenant (A), RN 15 May 1941 (No. 766 and No. 738 RN Squadrons)

Acting Lieutenant-Commander (A), RN 1943 (Commanding Officer #825 RCN Sqd)

Killed in Flying Accident 31 January 1947 (Killed in Firefly aircraft)

"For sustained courage, skill & enterprise in many air

operations by night & day, against the Enemy in the Mediterranean"

* * * * *





BRANDS, Eugene George, Lieutenant (J.G.) - Member - Order of the British Empire (MBE) - United States Naval Reserve - Awarded in WW2 but as it was to a member of the American Armed Forces, the award was not gazetted.

"For gallantry, skill and coolness in carrying out hazardous
        duties in connection with Mine Recovery Operations."

                             * * * * *

FURLONG, Lieutenant-Commander Robert Stafford  -  Member - Order of the British Empire (MBE)
 - Royal Navy / Senior Censor Newfoundland Forces.
  Awarded as per London Gazette of 1946.
  WW2 as Lt(S) RNVR 21 December 1940 on loan to RCNVR.
  Intelligence Officer and Senior Censor on staff of F.O. Newfoundland Forces.
  Retired as a LCdr; awarded MBE 1946 for war service.
  Returned to law practice.
  Appointed Chief Justice of Newfoundland in 1959.
  Made an Officer of the Order of St. John (OStJ) and a Queen's Council (QC).
  He died on 9 February 1996, age 91, St. John's Newfoundland.

                             * * * * *

PETT, William Charles George, Anti-Submarine Boatswain
  - Member - Order of the British Empire (MBE) - Royal Navy
  - Awarded as per London Gazette of 2 June 1943.
    Home:  Montpelier, Vermont, USA.

         "This Officer has shown outstanding devotion to duty in the training
         of ships and has set an example for cheerfulness and initiative in
         working out a sea training organization."

                             * * * * *

PUXLEY, William Lavallin, Acting Captain  -  Officer - Order of the British Empire (OBE)
 - Royal Navy on loan to RCN
 - Awarded as per London Gazette of 8 June 1944 (no Canada Gazette).
Home:  England.

         "For good services in action with destroyer force."

                             * * * * *

SCHWERDT, Charles Maxwell Richards, CVO  -  Commander - Order of the British Empire (CBE)
 - RN (Retired) attached RCN / Naval Officer-in-Charge, Sydney, Nova Scotia
 - Awarded as per London Gazette of 01 January 1943. 
Received MID with Lieutenant Frederick Thornton PETERS in WW1.


                             * * * * *